Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My first post...

It's week five and training seems to be going well; at least according to the schedule I'm following. It says that I'll be prepared on time, but I don't know how much I believe this one piece of paper since running a hour and forty minutes seems like an eternity. I can hardly imagine running three and half to four hours!

While I smoked (I haven't had a cigarette for six weeks now) I ran, but just not very far. My usual run was two and a half miles to the park and back. It was my lungs that always tired me first, taking rapid deep breaths to try to get oxygen into my lungs never seemed enough and I would always stop at 2.5 miles. Now it's my muscles that tire and tell me to stop. What am I trying to say.... This might sound a bit crazy, but I think smoking 10-15 cigarettes a day for seven years and running 2.5 miles every once in a while will make running long distances while not smoking seem like a piece of cake. Seriously, I feel great when I'm running (most of the time). It's encouraging to run with such ease. For this reason and the fundraising aspect of this marathon keeps me from smoking again. I would prescribe a marathon for anyone who wants to quit.

No comments: