Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Why GHA?

Someone asked me the other day the simple question, why?  Why are you doing this for GHA and not a different non profit.  What is your motivation?  The simple answer is I´m going to be working for GHA starting June 17th when my plane departs from Madrid and arrives Guatemala city thirty hours later.  The more complicated answer starts when I was just a little 4th grader delivering newspapers...  Here we go...

Before the Bellingham Herald changed my schedule from day shifts to morning shifts I would come home from school to find a large stack of newspapers waiting for me at my doorstep.  There were somewhere around 35 newspapers I had to roll and wrap, turning my hands black from the ink.  I checked my route to make sure no one cancelled or if I had another home, put on the fashionable newspaper bag holder and off I went.  Like most classic newspaper delivering stories I was harassed by a gigantic terrifying dog with a bark that would make you crap yourself.  I remember like it was yesterday when this Burmese mountain dog mix came up to me, standing almost eye to eye.  I knew better to run from a dog, but I remember it being a terrifying experience.  His name is Buster and his irresponsible owner who lets his dog scare children is named Syd.  I was welcomed to his home to meet the dog.  I've always been one to work, and he employed me to work in his garden and other odd jobs around the house.  That's how the relationship began.

There's much more to the story.  Stay tuned 








No comments: