Thursday, May 10, 2012

Why GHA, Part III

I came back from Guatemala in early May of 2005 excited to tell everyone about my trip only to find out that no one really cared, expressed by some relatives, "welcome back to reality, it might be difficult getting use to it."  Of course my friends were interested about the trip; for about two minutes until they wanted to talk about something else.  It only took a few days before my excitement to come back home diminish and the "traveler itch" started manifesting itself.  The trip opened my eyes to things I've never seen, heard, or really understood.  Poverty of course is the most apparent thing you first notice leaving the airport, but there was more people were talking about.  Remember, I went on this trip alone with a small backpack with sandals tied to it and a lonely planet; with no plans, only to take a taxi to Antigua with the little Spanish I learned from two years in high school (trust me, that's not much). I was talking with strangers from all over the world and eventually once I could speak a bit with Guatemalans.  People discussed the history of the country such as the Guatemalan civil war that lasted from 1960-1996, politics, and culture.  This had a lasting affect on me and influenced what I would study when I decided to return to college.   Traveling by yourself is something I think everyone should do before going to college.

I wanted to travel more but unfortunately I was broke.  Luckily for me I found work. I was hired by Syd again to help build his new home on his blueberry farm.  I was there from the beginning; from transplanting the blueberries, pouring the foundation, to installing the roof. He taught me as much as I could absorb, even the importance of investing, making me purchase my own tools with a certain percent of my check he withheld.  Then I started working in the oil refineries again where I learned the basics of accountancy and book keeping.  Both of these job experiences will serve me well in Guatemala in the office manager/ project director position.

After some traveling to Europe and working in long beach CA I decided to go back to school at the age of 21.  I started in Boston, moved to San Luis Obispo, and finally graduated from UC San Diego with a degree in International political science/history with a regional focus in Latin America.  During my time at UCSD I went to Spain to study abroad in order to improve my Spain and that's when I met Rocio.  I moved Cordoba after graduation to teach English and be with her. 

So why GHA?  Why Guatemala?  Because at this point in my life it seems that everything I've done has prepared/led me to make this decision to work for GHA.  From my experience building homes, my trip to Guatemala, my almost fluent Spanish speaking skills, my office experience, and specialized knowledge of politics and history of the region are all skills that I will utilize in Guatemala.  What's even better.....  It's a beautiful thing we're doing at the lake.  Because although I won't make enough money to pay down my $18,500 in school loan during my time at GHA, seeing the faces of the families who receive the homes that we build, and the excitement of the children going to school who once couldn't...  It's enough for me.  Please, support us any way you can.  We will put that support to good use.  (Like us on Facebook, tell your friends, donations)

No comments: