Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Why GHA part II

I had very little contact with Syd throughout high school.  Toward the end of my senior year I was thinking about my best options for work during the summer.  One day when I passed Syd´s house on my drive to school in my little grey hatchback 1989 ford Festiva I was reminded that Syd had his own construction company.  After school I decided to visit and ask for work.  For two reasons it was a very memorable experience.   Not only did I get a job for the summer helping build a portable building for Linden high school I was also bitten by his new dog.  Although I left his house in pain I was also smiling.

I was tired of school so I quit to go to work for Matrix Service, an industrial contracting company.  The job was in Shell's oil refinery and my responsibility was tracking job costs.  The hours were long 12 hour days 6 days sometimes 7 days a week.  After the job I was sitting on what I considered a small fortune of $3,000, but with nothing to do.  I went to Syd's and asked him for some advice.  He asked me why I don't travel Guatemala saying that it was a beautiful country with lots to see, and that my $3,000 could last me a long time.  That evening we went upstairs to his office to purchase the ticket.  In February 2005 I went to Guatemala for three months.  My life would never be the same. 


No comments: